Spring Gentian (Gentiana verna subsp. verna)
The Action Plan for Bohemian Gentian was terminated as of Dec 31st 2012.
The main objective of this Action Plan was to preserve both lowland and mountain forms of Gentiana verna subsp. verna as a wild growing species in the Czech Republic.
This goal should be achieved by implementation of the following measures:
- Extending the population of lowland form of the Spring Gentian in National Natural Monument (NNM) Rovná to at least 200 plants, which will be able to reproduce spontaneously, as to be verified for five consecutive years.
- Increasing the area of occurrence of lowland form of the Spring Gentian in the NNM Rovná by at least 100%.
- Establishing at least three new populations of lowland form of the Spring Gentian able to reproduce spontaneously - to be verified for five consecutive years.
- Preserving the current state of mountain form populations of the Spring Gentian in the Jeseníky (Ash Mountains) Protected Landscape Area (PLA).
As a part of the Action Plan, the following measures will be taken:
- Habitat management (extensive grazing, mowing, disturbing turf, scraping out remaining dry leaves and grass, removing competitive allochtonous plants).
- Improvement of water regime in the NNM Rovná by flooding the habitat, or watering the plants, respectively.
- Elaboration of a list of habitat sites suitable for repatriation of the species.
- Ex situ rescue by cultivation.
- Strengthening the last lowland form population by sowing and planting based on tested methods.
- Introduction of the species to new sites selected from the above mentioned list of sites by sowing and planting based on tested methods.
- Yearly monitoring of all three populations of Gentiana verna subsp. verna, completed with monitoring of underground water level and regular recording of phytocoenological relevés in the NNM Rovná, the same monitoring to be started in newly established sites as well.
- Research of genotypic variation in individual populations of the species and determining minimum population size able to survive in a long-term under existing conditions in the habitat.
- Promotion the site in the NNM Rovná at regional level.